Known as the land of Gods, Uttarakhand is synonymous with divinity and is home to many famous and small temples. Due to their serene beauty and religious significance, these temples hold great historical and archaeological importance. They are not only revered for their religious and cultural significance but are also recognized as some of the finest temples in Uttarakhand and across the world.
10 most famous temples of Uttarakhand. Top 10 Most Famous Temples In Uttarakhand
1. Kedarnath Temple: This historical temple holds immense importance and is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
2. Tungnath Temple: Situated at the highest point, it is the highest temple of Lord Shiva and offers a breathtaking view.
3. Baleshwar Temple: This temple has beautiful stone carvings, which showcase intricate craftsmanship.
4. Katarmal Sun Temple: Marvel at the impressive architectural design of this ancient Sun Temple.
5. Mahasu Devta Temple: Enjoy the serene atmosphere and natural beauty at this temple dedicated to Lord Mahasu.
6. Lakhamandal Temple: Experience the mystical aura in this temple and see the magic of Shivalinga.
7. Adi Badri: Explore a group of 16 temples in this sacred pilgrimage site.
8. Anusuya Devi Temple: Feel the glory of the Goddess at this iconic temple known for its spiritual significance.
9. Augustmuni: Pay homage to sage Agastya in this temple built in his memory.
10. Badhangarhi Temple: Witness the power and divinity of Goddess Kali in this temple.
These temples are a testament to the rich spiritual heritage of Uttarakhand and offer a unique experience to devotees and visitors.
1. Kedarnath Temple
Kedarnath Temple, a historical temple located in Uttarakhand, is famous as one of the Jyotirlingas representing the cosmic light of Lord Shiva. Believed to be built by Adi Shankaracharya in the 8th century BC, this holy temple is situated on the banks of the perennial Mandakini river. Its address is Kedarnath, Uttarakhand 246445.
Why is Kedarnath Temple the most famous temple of Uttarakhand?
- Devotees flock to Kedarnath considering it an important pilgrimage site for Shaivites. Situated at an altitude of approximately 3583 metres, it is located 223 km from Rishikesh. With a rich history of over 1000 years, this temple is an iconic site of spiritual importance.
- The architectural brilliance of the Kedarnath temple is awe-inspiring. It consists of a large rectangular structure lined with carefully arranged stone slabs. The garbhagriha (sanctum sanctorum) and mandapa (assembly hall) display excellent craftsmanship and attention to detail.
- A visit to Kedarnath Temple offers a deeply spiritual experience amid breathtaking natural surroundings.
The temple welcomes visitors from 4:00 am to 9:00 pm, giving devotees ample time to have darshan.
2. Tungnath Temple
Situated amidst the snowy Chandranath Parvat, Tunganath Temple has the distinction of being the highest temple of Lord Shiva not only in Uttarakhand but also in the world. It is also recognized as the “highest Panch Kedar temple” in Uttarakhand district.
Why is Tungnath Temple the most famous temple of Uttarakhand?
- Tunganath is ranked third among the Panch Kedars. Standing proudly at a height of 3680 meters above sea level, this historic temple of Uttarakhand is believed to be over 1000 years old, which is similar to the age of the Kedarnath temple.
- This temple is located in Rudraprayag, Uttarakhand, and serves as a holy site for devotees seeking solace and spiritual connection. Its serene environment and remarkable height make it truly a remarkable place of worship.
Tourists can enjoy the divine aura of Tunganath Temple from 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM.
Located within the Champawat city of Uttarakhand, the Baleshwar Temple is a remarkable structure known for its beautiful stone carvings. This historic temple stands as a living testimony of the Chand Dynasty and is a symbol of excellent craftsmanship.
Why is Baleshwar Temple the most famous temple of Uttarakhand?
- Although there are no written records confirming the exact time and century of its construction, it is believed that the temple was built between the 10th and 12th centuries AD. The intricate stone carvings found throughout the temple are a testament to the skilled craftsmanship of that era.
- A visit to this temple allows one to admire the artistic excellence and experience the rich historical heritage of Uttarakhand.
Tourists can visit Baleshwar Temple between 9:00 am to 11:30 am and 5:00 pm to 8:30 pm.
4. Katarmal Sun Temple
Katarmal Sun Temple in Uttarakhand is a magnificent architectural marvel, which is believed to have been built by the Katyuri kings during the 9th century.
Why is Katarmal Sun Temple the most famous temple of Uttarakhand?
- This famous temple exhibits an extraordinary design that will leave visitors awestruck by the craftsmanship displayed by the artisans of that era. Situated at an altitude of 2,116 meters above sea level, this temple can be easily reached from Almora.
- Like many other temples in the region, a distinctive feature of this temple is the intricate wooden carvings adorning the panels and doors. These intricate designs add to the beauty of the temple and reflect the ancient style of architecture prevalent in the area. In terms of architectural splendor, Katarmal Sun Temple is considered to be the second most beautiful temple after Konark Sun Temple.
- Exploring the Katarmal Sun Temple gives visitors a chance to appreciate the stunning craftsmanship and immerse themselves in the rich cultural heritage of Uttarakhand.
The temple can be visited between 6:00 am to 12:00 noon and 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm.
5. Mahasu Devta Temple
Situated in the picturesque village of Hanol on the banks of river Tons, the temple is located in Hanol, Uttarakhand.
Why is Mahasu Devta Temple the most famous temple of Uttarakhand?
- Mahasu Devta Temple not only offers a religious experience but also an opportunity to enjoy the surrounding natural beauty. This temple is believed to be named after the Brahmin Huna Bhatt.
- Apart from the temple, tourists can also visit Hanol village, which charms with its serene and tourist-friendly environment. The village is known for its natural beauty and creates a delightful atmosphere for the tourists.
- You get ample time to soak in its spiritual atmosphere. Whether seeking divine blessings or simply enjoying the surrounding natural splendor, a visit to Mahasu Devta Temple and Hanol Village is a delightful experience.
Mahasu Devta Temple welcomes visitors from 6:00 am to 8:00 pm
6. Lakhamandal Temple
Located in Uttarakhand, Lakhamandal Temple is an iconic site dedicated to Lord Shiva. Within the temple complex, one can find the remains of several small Shiva temples, which add to its historical importance.
Why is Lakhamandal Temple the most famous temple of Uttarakhand?
- The main attraction of Lakhamandal Temple is the Shivalinga, the sacred deity worshiped by the devotees. This Shivalinga is unique as it is crafted from graphite, and when water is poured over it as part of the ritual, it emits a dazzling glow.
- Get ready to witness the magical aura of Shivalinga and immerse yourself in the spiritual atmosphere of this ancient temple.
Tourists can visit the temple from 5 am to 9 pm, giving them ample time for worship and contemplation.
7. Adi Badri
Adi Badri Temple, an important pilgrimage site in Uttarakhand, is part of the famous Panch Badri temples. It has great historical and religious significance, making it a must-see place for those seeking a spiritual experience.
Why is Adi Badri the most famous temple of Uttarakhand?
- Adi Badri temple served as the abode of Lord Vishnu during Satya, Treta and Dwapara Yugas before being shifted to Badrinath.
- The temples of Adi Badri were established by revered Adi Guru Shankaracharya. Of the 16 temples, the main temple is dedicated to Narayana, which houses a striking black stone idol of Lord Vishnu.
Tourists can visit the temple complex from 6 am to 7 pm, giving them ample time for prayers and contemplation.
8. Anusuya Devi Temple
Anusuya Devi Temple, located in Chamoli, Uttarakhand, is an iconic temple dedicated to Goddess Sati.
Why is Anusuya Devi Temple the most famous temple of Uttarakhand?
- Situated amidst the majestic Himalayas, this temple holds great importance for the devotees. The ethereal beauty of the surrounding mountains adds to the spiritual experience.
- The best time to visit Anusuya Devi Temple is in December, especially during the celebration of Dattatreya Jayanti. This festive occasion attracts a large number of pilgrims who gather to offer prayers, sing devotional songs (bhajans) and illuminate the temple with lamps.
The temple is open to devotees in the morning, afternoon and evening, providing ample time for spiritual contemplation and connecting with the divine.
9. Augustmuni Dedicated to sage Agastya
The temple is dedicated to the revered sage Agastya, a prominent figure in Hindu mythology.
Why is Agastmuni the most famous temple of Uttarakhand?
- The Agastmuni Temple, located in the Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand, holds great importance for the pilgrims traveling on the Char Dham route.
- Exploring the temple will also give you a chance to learn about the interesting legends and mythological stories associated with Sage Agastya. The temple welcomes visitors during the day, providing ample opportunity to soak in the spiritual atmosphere and seek blessings.
The temple’s location on the Char Dham route and its proximity to helipads and other pilgrimage sites make it easily accessible to devotees. If you choose to travel by helicopter, it will take around 45 minutes to reach Agastmuni Temple from Kedarnath. During your visit, you will be mesmerized by the beauty of St. Augusta’s Pool, a natural attraction near the temple.
10. Badhangarhi Temple
Badangarhi Temple, dedicated to Goddess Kali, offers a mesmerizing experience to tourists visiting Uttarakhand.
Why is Badangarhi Temple the most famous temple of Uttarakhand?
- Established between the 8th and 12th centuries, this temple is famous for the worship of Dakshina Kali and Lord Shiva. Situated at an impressive altitude of over 2260 meters above sea level, the Badangarhi Temple attracts tourists from far and wide who are eager to witness the spiritual and natural wonders of Uttarakhand.
- The temple not only allows you to witness the power of the revered deity but also provides breathtaking views of the famous peaks of the region like Trishul, Nanda Devi and Panchachuli.
Whether you visit in the morning, afternoon or evening, the temple offers a serene and picturesque environment to devotees and tourists.
While exploring the rich history, picturesque architecture and vibrant culture of Uttarakhand, you will find a plethora of magnificent temples that will leave you in awe and create a deep sense of peace with every visit. Make sure these temples are included in your itinerary when planning a trip to Uttarakhand, known as the “Land of Temples”.
Uttarakhand has gained fame for its abundant temples, which attract religious devotees and spiritual seekers from far and wide. These architectural wonders have served as sacred magnets for countless generations, emanating a timeless spiritual energy. Many great saints and sages have set out on pilgrimage to the Himalayas in search of divine blessings. Now, it is your turn to experience the eternal power that resonates in this sacred land.
Immerse yourself in the awe-inspiring presence of these temples, connect with ancient traditions and witness the harmonious blend of faith, history and artistry. May the sacred atmosphere surround you as you embark on a spiritual journey to Uttarakhand, a land rich in divine sanctuaries.